Immigration FAQs

No.  There are no quotas or limitations for U Visa holders seeking permanent residency status in the United States.

If you are issued a U Visa does that mean you may begin working in the United States?

A U Visa does not grant the ability to work, but under this non-immigrant status you are allowed to apply for work authorization through an Application of Employment Authorization.  If approved, you obtain a work permit.  The permit is reviewed every year.

Are a work visa and a work permit the same thing?

Work visas and work permits are different authorizations.  An alien who wants permission to enter the United States for work must obtain a work visa.  There are many different types of non-immigrant visas for temporary work in the U.S., along with employment-based immigrant visas for foreign nationals looking to live and work here permanently.

A work permit authorizes people with visas to work in the United States.  Aside from certain exceptions, everyone who is not a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident (LPR) must apply for a work permit in order to work in the United States.

Immigrants and non-immigrants who must apply for work permits to enable them to gain legal employment include:

  • Asylees and asylum seekers
  • Refugees
  • Students seeking employment
  • Applicants adjusting for legal permanent residency
  • Applicants for temporary protected status
  • American citizen fiancés
  • Foreign government officials’ dependents

When going through naturalization, if you pass the citizenship test do you become a citizen right away?

Once you take the Oath of Allegiance to the United States you are officially a U.S. citizen.  At some U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) offices your citizenship test interview and oath of allegiance occur in the same day.  At other locations, the oath of allegiance is scheduled for another date.

How can family members attain U.S. citizenship?

A family member can become a lawful permanent resident when sponsored by a relative who is a U.S. citizen or LPR.  After adjusting status and meeting citizenship eligibility requirements (continuous residence, LPR status for three years, etc.), the relative may go through naturalization to become a citizen.

How can a bilingual attorney better help you with immigration issues?

Immigration law firms in San Francisco that have a bilingual attorney provide an added advantage for immigrants by explaining procedures and clearing up confusions.  Immigration laws are complex and difficult to understand.  A language barrier further complicates the immigration process and makes it difficult.  At the Law Offices of Jorge Rodriguez-Choi, we help many Spanish speaking immigrants deal smoothly with immigration problems.

Get legal help from San Francisco immigration lawyers

Contact our San Francisco immigration law firm to schedule a consultation to discuss your immigration case. Call us today at 510-267-1927.

When considering immigration law firms in San Francisco, we hope you consider the Law Offices of Jorge Rodriguez-Choi.


We serve clients in California and Arizona including:

  • San Francisco Bay Area
  • Fresno
  • Bakersfield
  • Redding
  • Phoenix
  • Eloy
  • Florence
  • Los Angeles
  • Seattle